Oatmeal, as the name suggests, is made from hulled oat grains which have been grounded or milled.
How often have we come to enjoy a bowl of hot oats and milk in the morning? This is because they are healthy and nutritious.
Furthermore, oats are even useful for the skin.
This makes them a perfect ingredient of face scrubs and the likes. In general, oatmeal is also known to lower the chances of heart attacks and keeps your blood cholesterol in control.
Ways Oatmeal Benefits You
Oatmeal presents a number of different health benefits when either consumed directly or applied as a skin product. Here are some ways in which oatmeal can be advantageous for you.
- Oatmeal can hugely reduce the cholesterol level in the body. According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, one should consume 3 grams of oatmeal on a regular basis. For better results, you should combine it with fruits containing vitamin C.
- Oatmeal also works well against skin acne. When it is used as a facial mask, the oatmeal works treats and cleanses your skin well.
- According to studies, oatmeal also helps you in losing. Since it is high in protein content, consuming a bowl of oatmeal in the morning keeps you satiated for a long time. This, in turn, reduces the fat intake of the body and keeps the metabolism rate high.
- It has also been found that oatmeal can actually decrease the chances of childhood asthma. According to researchers from across the globe, when a child consumes oats on a regular basis, he or she has lower chances of suffering from asthma or any allergic diseases.
- Oatmeal can also act as a great moisturizer for the skin. This can be attributed to the high protein and lipid content in these grains. In effect, it helps soften the skin and keeps it hydrated. Add to that, the soothing properties of oatmeal can actually help the skin recover from sunburn.
- When you are out in those bright sunny days, an oatmeal sunscreen can help you protect the skin from the harmful UV rays and prospective sunburn.
- Oatmeal is also known to benefit your hair greatly. It can be used to treat dandruff and prevent hair loss. When mixed with fresh milk and almond milk, and applied on to the hair as a mask, oatmeal can help strengthen the hair roots.
Home Recipes for Oatmeal
Oatmeal can be used to prepare a lot of recipes at home. Read on.
- Exfoliating skin mask
Oatmeal can clean your skin and treat your acne. All you need to do is mix some rose water, honey, applesauce and oatmeal. Use this mask on your face for 10-15 minutes before washing it off with lukewarm water.
- Oatmeal mask for oily skin
If you are one of those suffering from an extremely oily skin, an oatmeal mask can help you in the process. Add some cooked oatmeal, honey, and plain yogurt and mix it well. Apply the mixture thoroughly on your face. After 10-15 minutes, wash it off with cold water.
- Oatmeal scrub
Oatmeal can also work well as a face scrub. Add one tablespoon of oatmeal, some warm water, and wait till it gets soft. In a circular motion, apply it on your skin in circular motion for best results.
- Oatmeal breakfast
If you want to consume oatmeal for breakfast, all you have to do is add it to a bowl of milk, and top it with fruits like apples, almonds, and the likes. This will give you a healthy and filling breakfast option.